Scripture: Genesis 28
- I am the Lord. God of father Abraham and Isaac.
- I will give you and your offspring the land you are in.
- Your offspring will be like dust of the earth and will spread abroad in every direction
- Through your offspring all families of the earth will be blessed – Messiah
- I am with you and will keep you wherever you go.
- I will bring you back to this land.
- I will not leave you until I have done what I promised.
3 Responses of Jacob
- God is surely in this place and I didn’t even know it.
- He was afraid – How awesome is this place. Prov. 1:7 Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
- This is the house or dwelling place of God and the gate of heaven.
3 Vows of Commitment to God – Submission, Worship, and Sacrifice
If (literally since) God promised to be with me, to protect me, to provide for me, and to return me to my father’s house in peace…
- The Lord will be my God – Submission
- You have first place in my life
- I will obey and follow You
- This stone as a pillar of remembrance is a dwelling place of God – Worship
- I will worship You
- Exalt the name of God
- Proclaim His greatness
- I will give You back a full tenth of all You give me – Sacrifice
- Example of tithe from Abraham to Melchizedek back in Gen. 14
- Recognize that what I receive comes from God (thankfulness)
- Give back to God joyfully
What kind of tests of faith have you experienced? Are you in one now? Are you questioning God’s goodness when so many bad things are happening to you or around you?
Are you questioning God’s existence? Have you met God? Do you know His promises to be with you, to provide for you, to never leave you alone, to bring you safely home?
Jesus Christ, is the only way to have a relationship with God. Trusting in His death, burial, and resurrection for our sins is the way to peace with God.
Are you just interested in church, interested in God, interested in Jesus? Or are you a fully committed follower? God deserves and calls for all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Submit to Him, Worship Him, and be ready to Sacrifice anything for Him.
He is worth it all!