Scripture: Hosea 1
Major Themes of Hosea
- Israel has rebelled
- God will bring consequences for their sin and idolatry
- God’s relentless love and mercy
- Hope for redemption
God’s Unbelievable Command
- Go marry a whore
- Marriage is God’s idea
Hosea’s Immediate Response
- He married Gomer and took her to be his wife
- Hosea obeyed God without question
Three Difficult Children
- No Mercy
- Not My People
Reminder of God’s Covenant Promise
- You will be a great nation
- Salvation for all nations
- Divided kingdoms will be restored under one King (Messiah)
- Hosea’s impossible marriage is a picture of God’s relentless love
- God’s opposite responses to the ugliness of sin: judgment & restoration
- Do you see yourself as a good person?
- Do you judge people like Gomer?
- Do you think your marriage is impossible?
- Do you struggle with God’s sovereignty?
- How are you responding to suffering, worrying, illness, disappointments?
- Do you glorify God in your difficulties or only when things are going well?